The Florida Youth Orchestra strives to
- provide quality music education for talented children
throughout South Florida, regardless of race, religion, ethnic background, or
- build self-esteem through proficiency and commitment in a
nurturing, educational orchestral setting; and
- serve as a cultural resource to the children and audiences
of South Florida.
A Brief History
Since 1988, over 20,000 children have been educated and inspired by their participation in the Florida Youth Orchestra. As the area's only regional children's arts organization, FYO is highly regarded for its commitment to the finest quality music education, widespread community engagement, and sensitivity to the musical, social and emotional needs of children.
Currently, there are over 400 students from Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, with some traveling over 100 miles round trip to attend rehearsals at the University School of Nova Southeastern University. They range in age from 5-18, and participate in seven orchestra divisions, learning under the expert guidance of a 23-member faculty consisting of South Florida's most respected music professionals.
The musicians represent nationalities that span the globe, with a rich diversity of ethnic background, religion and socioeconomic circumstance.
FYO emphasizes cooperation, encouragement and mutual respect in an nurturing, supportive environment.
Again and again, the Florida Youth Orchestra has proven to be the spark that leads to life-changing choices, opportunities and achievements. Along with the proven brain-enhancing benefits of music education, FYO develops the human aspects of self-discipline, reliability, flexibility, cooperation and self-esteem....attitude skills that will last a lifetime!
The Florida Youth Orchestra's distinguished history includes:
- Recipient of the prestigious Moretti Award for Artistic Achievement
- Two performances in New York's Carnegie Hall, each receiving a standing ovation
- A performance in the Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, which attracted the largest audience ever for a concert on their Millennium Stage
- Represented the state of Florida at America's 400th anniversary celebration in Jamestown, VA
- Named "Best Program for Young Musicians" by Parenting Magazine
- Five professionally recorded CDs and several world-premiere musical compositions